Sweat Lodge Trial: Images

Images from the trial of Carlsbad motivational speaker James Arthur Ray, facing three counts of manslaughter for the collapse and deaths of three people during a ceremony in Sedona in October 2009.

13 photos
The snorting sounds Melissa Phillips heard from a woman inside a sweat lodge ceremony had her concerned. Then she saw the woman rocking back and forth while encouraging dozens of others to endure the sweltering heat. Phillips testified Wednesday that she yelled out several times for someone to help Kirby Brown but she got a response that "she's fine." Defense attorneys say the words of encouragement from Brown were so loud that she was asked to quiet down -- and were a sign that she was in no real danger.
From left, Tom Kelly, James Ray and Luis Li confer during the morning session on the third day of Ray's criminal trial in Camp Verde, Ariz. on Thursday, March 3, 2011. Ray faces three counts of manslaughter. Ray led the sweat lodge ceremony as part of his "Spiritual Warrior" retreat near Sedona. Sweat lodges commonly are used by American Indian tribes to rid the body of toxins. (AP Photo/Jack Kurtz, Pool)
Charges stem from a sweat lodge ceremony Ray led near Sedona in 2009.
The events and activities were part of Ray's five-day "Spiritual Warrior" seminar that culminated with the sweat lodge.
Three people collapsed and died during the ceremony. Prosecutors say Ray crammed more than 50 people inside the sweat lodge.
The Oct. 8 ceremony was intended to be the highlight of Ray's five-day event at a retreat he rented near Sedona. He told participants, who paid more than $9,000 each to attend, that it would be one of the most intense experiences of their lives.
Prosecutors say Ray pressured participants to stay, even after people started vomiting and passing out.
James Ray's mug shot after his arrest.
Kirby Brown, 38, of Westtown, N.Y. passed out during the ceremony and died later that night at a hospital.
Liz Neuman, 49, of Prior Lake, Minn., slipped into a coma and died a week after the ceremony.
James Shore, 40, of Milwaukee passed out inside the sweat lodge and died that night at a hospital.
Survivor Beverly Bunn pushed Arizona authorities to bring charges against Ray for what she called "pure negligence."
Contact Us