Mountain View

San Diego Police Officer Shot With Ghost Gun Before Mountain View SWAT Standoff: Police Chief

The suspect appeared to be undergoing an overdose when medics found him, the police chief said.

NBC Universal, Inc.

An hours-long SWAT standoff in Mountain View ended Monday morning with a man in custody after shooting a police officer, then possibly overdosing on narcotics, authorities said.

The incident began sometime before 12:30 a.m. Monday when the San Diego Police Department found a vehicle in the 3500 block of Main Street in Barrio Logan that was reported stolen, according to the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department (SDSO).

Officers tried to do a traffic stop, but the driver, identified by police as Andrew Garcia of San Diego, 21, sped off at a high rate of speed. More help was called in, including a K-9 unit, tire deflation devices, and a police helicopter, according to police.

NBC 7's Rory Devine reports from outside of the townhome where the suspect was taken into custody.

After chasing the stolen vehicle for several miles, officers became concerned for the public's safety and switched to tracking Garcia by a police helicopter. Garcia then ditched the vehicle in an apartment complex near the intersection of 45th Street and Logan Avenue in the Mountain View neighborhood, police said.

Officers were chasing Garcia on foot when the suspect turned around and revealed a handgun, police said. As the officer came around the apartment building, Garcia shot the officer multiple times with what police later realized was a ghost gun. Officers did not return fire at that time, police said.

Other officers on scene moved the wounded officer and performed emergency medical aid on him. Garcia ran to 1000 South 44th Street and barricaded himself inside a vacant townhome. Police set up a perimeter around the house and called in assistance from SDPD's SWAT and Emergency Negotiation Team, according to police.

Some households in the immediate area were evacuated, while others were ordered to shelter in place.

During the hours-long standoff, officers spotted Garcia on the ground of the house. He appeared to be undergoing an overdose when SWAT officers and a police service dog took him into custody, police said. Medics administered Narcan to him, brought him back to life and transported him to a hospital, according to SDPD Chief David Nisleit.

NBC 7's Mari Payton shares reaction to the shooting from Mayor Todd Gloria and neighbors in the area.

The police officer who was shot was taken to an area hospital to undergo surgery, according to SDSO. He was shot in his vest and the vest likely saved his life, said Nisleit during a press conference Monday afternoon.

Nisleit emphasized the work of medical staff in treating the officer, who was in stable condition as of Monday afternoon.

"He's in good spirits, he's sitting up, and that in itself, is quite a miracle," Nisleit said of the officer.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria was also present at the press conference, praising his city's police department.

"Imagine being in a situation where you shoot a police officer and the officers then turn around and make sure that this person gets the healthcare that they need. That's the level of humanity that our department displays on a daily basis. But now of course he'll go through the criminal justice system and be held accountable for the actions," Mayor Gloria said.

A standoff is underway in Mountain View after a pursuit driver shot an SDPD officer, authorities say.

“It’s emotional. These officers go out every single day and risk their lives for strangers," Nisleit said. "Coming up through a law enforcement family, having a son on this department, it hurts. I’m blessed that he’s stable. He will survive this incident. Blessed that his family is with him, but it’s difficult.”

Authorities said they will not be releasing the wounded officer's name at this time as he and his family seek privacy.

SDPD Homicide Detectives are investigating the incident, including reviewing video footage, body worn cameras, helicopter footage, surveillance video, witnesses and physical evidence.

After medical treatment, Garcia is set to be booked into jail for one count of Attempted Murder of a Police Officer, Felony Evading, Auto Theft, Reckless Discharge of a Firearm into an Inhabited Dwelling and for being a Felon in Possession of a Firearm. 

Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to call the Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.  

Contact Us