Mountain View

Suspect in 29-Hour SWAT Standoff in Mountain View is Former Corrections Officer: CDCR

Residents are asked to shelter in place and police said anyone needing assistance can call 911

NBC Universal, Inc.

A former corrections officer who barricaded himself in his Mountain View home after allegedly shooting at San Diego police officers was taken into custody Monday afternoon after a standoff lasting more than 29 hours, according to police.

Officers and SWAT had been at the home in the 4500 block of T Street since around 8 a.m. Sunday. SDPD Lt. Adam Sharki said the man was in custody as of 2:50 p.m.

Officers and SWAT were at the home from 8 a.m. Sunday until Monday afternoon. NBC 7's Artie Ojeda has the story.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation confirmed the suspect, ReginaldSmith Brown, was a former corrections officer assigned to the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility. He retired from the CDCR in 2002.

Neighbors told NBC 7 they were relieved to learn Brown was taken into custody without serious injury. They say he lost his wife about a year ago after a long battle with illness, and said her death caused Brown a lot of distress. Police, however, have not said why Brown allegedly shot at police and refused to surrender.

"We always want to try to think about the worst-case scenarios, but this was not a worst-case scenario. This was the best possible way this could have ended with our friend," neighbor Darryl Wynn said.

"I want him to get the help he needs, I want him to be OK," neighbor Erika Soto said.

Callers told 911 they heard someone fire a gun from inside a house. Later, callers said a man was outside the house waving a gun at neighbors threatening to kill them, SDPD Lt. Adam Sharki said.

NBC 7’s Brooke Martel said she heard police flashbangs around 6 a.m. and gas was deployed into the home in an effort to get the man to surrender.

When officers arrived at the scene, they tried to de-escalate the situation but the person instead barricaded himself inside the home.

At around 4:45 p.m., Lt. Sharki said the armed man inside the home fired at least once at officers. No officers were injured and no officers returned fire.

An NBC 7 reporter at the scene said she heard police flashbangs around 6 a.m. Monday and gas was deployed into the home in an effort to get the man to surrender.

A crisis negotiator called to the man over a loudspeaker asking him to come out of the home with his hands up. A K9 was standing by but had not been deployed as of 11 a.m.

San Diego police said the armed man fired at least one shot at officers from within the Mountain View home, prompting a shelter-in-place order for neighbors.

Police were available to escort neighbors from their homes during the shelter-in-place order.

One neighbor's car parked in front of Brown's home was damaged by a tactical vehicle police used to try and coax Brown out of his home.

No other information was available.

Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

Contact Us