Suspect Dies in Officer-Involved Shooting after High-Speed Pursuit

In the video, the victim can be seen running into the arms of police officers

A man who reportedly held a female hostage and led police on a high-speed pursuit along Interstate 15 on Sunday morning, died after being shot by a police officer, according to San Diego and Escondido police.

Exclusive: Video Captures End of Pursuit

SDPD officials report that just after 7 a.m., officers spotted a small brown pickup truck along the northbound I-15 at Aero Drive in Kearny Mesa.

Police say the driver of the pickup truck made a minor traffic violation.

When officers went to pull the vehicle over, the truck fled, beginning a high-speed chase, according to EPD.

During the pursuit, the suspect reportedly called 911 and spoke to a California High Patrol official.

According to investigators, the male caller threatened to shoot the truck's female driver if officers stopped the vehicle. EPD officials say the man claimed he had kidnapped the girl and referred to her as his "hostage." He also claimed to have explosives.

As the chase continued, police say they deployed two sets of spike strips on northbound I-15, one set at State Route 56 and another at Camino Del Norte.

Both attempts at stopping the vehicle were unsuccessful, police said.

At around 7:45 a.m. the pickup truck exited the I-15 on Centre City Parkway, near Country Club Lane, in Escondido.

Police say they deployed a third set of spike strips near the area, but were still unable to stop the vehicle.

The truck later came to a stop just north of Country Club Lane.

Police say the suspect then got out of the truck, and a confrontation between officers and the suspect ensued.

Officials said the officers felt their lives, as well as the hostage’s, were at risk. EPD confirmed that a San Diego police officer fired a single shot at the suspect, fatally injuring him.

Read: Suspect in I-15 Pursuit Identified

The female driver suffered minor injuries during the incident, and she was transported to Palomar Medical Center in Escondido.

Authorities said they were going to search the vehicle. Although officials reported the suspect had a gun, police have yet to confirm if they confiscated any weapons.

The Escondido Police Department will lead the investigation going forward.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story said the suspect displayed a gun to police officers. Officials later revealed he was unarmed. We regret the error.

Contact Us