Suspect in Gaslamp Standoff Identified

Military-style assault rifle, gas mask, handgun and tactical vest left in stairwell where suspect was shot by police

The San Diego man armed with an assault rifle and shot twice by police has been identified as active duty Navy by investigators.

Esteban Nandin, 24, was shot in the chest and arm after a standoff with San Diego police in a downtown apartment building early Sunday.

Nandin was a 2nd Class Petty Officer with the U.S. Navy and was deployed to Iraq from June 2008 until May 2009. His last deployment was on the USS Gary in 2011, according to Lieutenant Commander Donnell Evans with the U.S. Navy.

Evans added that Nandin was working as an electronics technician with the Explosives Ordinance Disposal Unit as of March 2012.

Nandin's file shows no history of PTSD.

Lt. Duran with SDPD Homicide said investigators will interview Nandin Monday about the events leading up to the shooting inside the Market Street Square Apartments at about 3 a.m.

Police were called by someone who saw the suspect was wearing a tactical vest and carrying an assault weapon.

Seconds after a group of officers and a K-9 entered the lobby, shots were fired by an officer in a nearby stairwell.

Nandin allegedly aimed a rifle at San Diego police officers and the officer responded by shooting Nandin at least twice officials said.

It wasn't until nearly an hour later, when the suspect covered in blood, staggered out of the stairwell through a side door and was quickly taken into custody.

He was bleeding from his chest and arm and was transported to UCSD Medical Center where he was described as in critical condition officials said.

Nandin will likely be arraigned in hospital Tuesday Duran said. He may face charges of assault with a deadly weapon.

Left behind in the stairwell were a loaded military-style assault rifle, gas mask, handgun and tactical vest, according to a statement from police.

See images from the standoff

One witness told NBC 7 that the suspect had just returned from Afghanistan. However on Monday, U.S. Navy officials stated that he spent no time in Afghanistan.

Nandin has been registered at address for several months and has lived there for past two weeks according to investigators.

The U.S. Navy is cooperating with the investigation.

Contact Us