Police were called to a Coronado neighborhood Wednesday to investigate reports of a strong odor after a construction crew struck a natural gas line, officials confirmed.
Lea Corbin, public information offier with the Coronado Police Department, said the smell of gas was reported around 12:20 p.m. in the 400 block of E Avenue. Along with officers, a Coronado Fire Department crew and SDG&E officials also responded to the scene.
Corbin said SDG&E officials were able to quickly turn off the damaged gas line.
Meanwhile, as a precaution, police officers evacuated a home near the ruptured gas line and issued a shelter-in-place order for residents of the surrounding block.
The order will remain in effect until at least 2 p.m., Corbin told NBC 7. She said officials expect to have the gas line repaired and the situation resolved by that time.
Police temporarily shut down traffic in the 400 block of D and E avenues due to the activity. Locals were advised to avoid the area.
No injuries were reported and further details were not immediately released.