2 Killed in SUV Crash on SR-125

Officials said two SUVs crashed head-on on the freeway near San Miguel Ranch Road

Two women, one of whom was celebrating her birthday, were killed and a man was seriously injured when two SUVs crashed head-on Thursday on State Route 125 in Chula Vista.

California Highway Patrol (CHP) officials said the vehicles collided just before 10:15 a.m. on southbound SR-125 at San Miguel Ranch Road.

The CHP said a 27-year-old man in a blue GMC Yukon was driving north when, for unknown reasons, he veered right, hit a guardrail, lost control and crossed left over the dirt center divide, slamming into a blue Chevrolet Suburban heading southbound.

Two women in the Suburban, a 63-year-old and 29-year-old, were killed in the crash, CHP officials confirmed. The Yukon driver, a Spring Valley resident, suffered minor injuries and was transported to a hospital via ambulance. A Chula Vista Fire battalion chief said the man is expected to survive.

Raw video of a head-on crash on SR-125 in Chula Vista involving two SUVs on Aug. 13, 2015. Two women were killed in the crash and one other person was injured.

The Suburban's female passenger who died was celebrating her 29th birthday, officials say.

"Now we have two ladies that have lost their lives," said CHP Officer Sean Lowery. "That's going to be a tremendous impact on loved ones. It's definitely a tragedy."

Chula Vista Fire Department crews had to free the victims trapped in the wreckage.

Aerial footage showed one of the SUVs rolled over on its roof off the side of the freeway. The other SUV was in the middle of the lanes, completely mangled, with only its rear tires and trunk intact. Glass and debris was scattered all over the road.

Several fire engines, ambulances and CHP vehicles remained on scene as of 11 a.m. working to clear the scene and collect evidence.

Traffic on southbound SR-125 was shut down immediately following the deadly crash from eastbound and westbound SR-54, officials said.

2 Killed in SR-125 Wreck

As of 11:30 a.m., drivers stuck in traffic were being allowed to cross over into northbound SR-125 lanes in rotations under the supervision of CHP officials.

By the afternoon, northbound lanes were open, but all southbound lanes were still closed.

The accident is under investigation. The names of the victims were not immediately released.

Ed. Note: Video reports previously attached to this article reflected information provided by CHP that was later corrected. We have removed the video clips to avoid confusion.

Contact Us