Instead of taking your dream vacation this summer, you may want to make it more of a staycation. Starting this weekend, pack up the family and head to one of Southern California's many theme and amusement parks who are either debuting new attractions or offering thrilling discounts to lure budget-minded travelers.
- "Elephant Odyssey" opens May 23 at the San Diego Zoo, and will explore Southern California's ancient past and display species we know today. From the "Mammoth Plaza" to the "Elephant Habitat" to "Rattlesnakes".
- Tickets are pretty reasonable: One-day tickets are $35 for adults, $26 for children. Two-day tickets are $40 for adults, $30 for children.
- If you're planning on spending the week and exploring all So Cal has to offer, you can purchase the Southern California City-Pass. Tickets are $259 for adults, $219 for children and gives you access for 14 days to the San Diego Zoo (or the Wild Animal Park), SeaWorld, Disneyland Resort Park Hopper and Universal Studios. You can also buy a "3-for-1 pass" that's valid for five days.
- "Summer Nights" starts this weekend and features special nighttime shows, longer hours and fireworks.
- If you're a Southern California resident you can receive special discounts like the "Fun Card". Tickets are $65 for adults (10 +) and $55 for kids.
- These prices also go for San Diego visitors with the "2 Days of Fun for the Price of 1" tickets.
Six Flags Magic Mountain:
- If battling post-apocalyptic soldiers to save humanity is your thing, then the new Terminator Salvation: The Ride which opens May 23, is for you. The wooden coaster features "belly-flopping hills" and "high speed banked turns".
- If you live closer to Six Flags, you can purchase a Play Pass for $59.99 and come back for free all year.
- If you're just visiting for the day, you can purchase tickets online for $24.99 until May 22. After that, online tickets are $39.99. Children 2 and under are free.
- This deal is for Southern California residents only: 2Fer Time at Disneyland! Visit both theme parks for less than $35 each.
Knott's Berry Farm:
- The Buena Park Amusement Park announced a new day pass that includes all-you-can-eat BBQ. Tickets are $38 for adults, $29 for children.
Universal Studios Hollywood:
- Universal Studios will offer a six-month pass for $60 starting June 15.