What to Know
- Search for suspect in series of homeless killings is first priority for San Diego Police Department.
- Three men died and one was critically injured in attacks that occurred July 3-6 in San Diego.
- Anyone with information can call SDPD homicide (619) 531-2293 or CrimeStoppers at (888) 580-8477.
San Diego Police released a new composite sketch in the series of homeless murders and brutal beating of another.
One person is believed to be responsible for the attacks that began July 3 in the Bay Park area of San Diego. Angelo De Nardo was found beaten to death and set on fire under a tree along Morena Boulevard.
The next morning, on July 4, two men were found with similar injuries.
Shawn Longley, 41, was found dead in Ocean Beach with blunt force trauma to his upper body.
A third victim who is hospitalized in critical condition was found beaten in the Midway area, police said. He has not regained consciousness since the attack.
On Wednesday, a fourth attack was connected to the crime spree. This time, a homeless man was beaten and set on fire in a well-populated area of Kettner Boulevard.
That victim, later identified as 23-year-old Dionicio Derek Vahidy, died in the hospital.
Images: Person Sought for Questioning in Homeless Attacks
San Diego Police have been looking for new evidence in the case now that a man arrested last week has been released from custody. Homicide investigators said they had found evidence that led them to determine the man was not a suspect in the crime spree.
Homicide investigators want to question a man spotted on store surveillance video near the Morena Boulevard scene. The man purchased a gas can, a gallon of gasoline and a lighter about 15 minutes before De Nardo's body was discovered.