Flaming Hawk With Snake in Its Talons Sparks Fire Near La Jolla

The cause of an early morning fire north of San Diego was an electrocuted bird falling from an active power line

A bird carrying a snake in its talons struck power lines north of San Diego, sparking a hillside fire just west of The Merge.

San Diego Police arrived to the location on Dunhill Street near the intersection of Interstates 5 and 805 just before 6 a.m.

Flames were burning very close to businesses including the General Atomics building, officials said.

Officers called in San Diego Fire-Rescue crews who contained the fire within an hour.

Fire officials initially told NBC 7 a bird with a snake in its mouth was electrocuted on a power line and fell to the ground, sparking the fire. A photo released by officials later shows the snake in the hawk's grasp.

"A hawk that hit the high voltage power line, caught fire, and fell to the ground," SD Fire-Rescue spokesperson Lee Swanson said in a written release.

There were no structures damaged and no evacuations ordered.

This area of San Diego is home to many companies in the region's biochemical industry.

San Diego Fire-Rescue Department (SDFD)
Contact Us