San Diego

Man's Arrest Ends Hours-Long Standoff at Bay Ho Home

According to a neighbor, the suspect had been yelling and lying on the roadway with a dog just before San Diego police arrived at a home Yucca Drive Thursday

A man wanted for an outstanding warrant was arrested Thursday after prompting a nearly four-hour-long standoff with San Diego police at a home in Bay Ho.

Just after 2:30 p.m., a San Diego Police Department K-9 officer was used to breach the home along the 3000 block of Yucca Avenue near Atari Court.

The suspect, identified by police as Aaron Brown, 38, was shirtless and barefoot, spitting at officers and talking aimlessly during his arrest.

This ended the ordeal that had started in the neighborhood at around 10:45 a.m. Police said a neighbor had called authorities to report that Brown was swinging a garden hose “in a threatening manner.”

Police descended on the neighborhood and warned the public, via Twitter, that there was a situation unfolding on Yucca Avenue and they should stay away from the area.

SDPD officers began trying to speak with Brown. When he refused to come out of the house, a standoff ensued.

SDPD negotiators were called to the scene to help reach out to Brown. Officials could be heard calling out to the suspect by name.

Just after 12 p.m., the SDPD said officers were still "trying to talk the man out of his home." At 12:45 p.m., an NBC 7 news crew heard a scream coming from inside the house. The scene remained active for another two hours.

NBC 7 spoke neighbor Tyler Cross who returned home Thursday morning to find Brown yelling outside before police arrived.

“(Brown) was outside, sitting in his front yard, and I heard him under his breath start cussing at me and, kind of, calling me some names, so I just went over there and confronted him,” Cross claimed.

Cross said Brown began touching himself and saying things that “didn’t even make sense.”

Shortly after, Brown laid down in the middle of the street, Cross told NBC 7. And when police arrived, Brown reportedly ran inside his home.

Cross claimed Brown had been acting up in the neighborhood for the past several months. Brown has been a resident in the area for several years, according to Cross.

Police told NBC 7 Brown's outstanding, no bail warrant was for a charge of assault with a deadly weapon not related to Thursday's standoff.

No further information was immediately available. Check back for updates on this developing story.

Contact Us