Recent heavy rain made it difficult for firefighters to put out a raging fire that destroyed a home in Vista overnight.
Firefighters with three different agencies responded just before midnight Thursday to a home on Buena Creek Road just off of S. Santa Fe. But a swollen creek near the access road made it difficult for crews to get an engine close to the home.
Once at the scene, crews were immediately told to go into "defensive mode," which means instead of attacking the fire, crews must work to ensure the fire does not spread to surrounding brush or property.
While crews were battling the blaze, a live wire began sparking, footage from the scene shows.
Despite dousing the home in water for several minutes, the fire continued to rage. At one point, an entire wall of the structure collapsed.
The family of five and their two pets were able to get out safely but the home was destroyed. He said that candle started the fire.
The homeowner said he'd been having with his living room lights so he lit a candle and forgot to blow it out.
Deputy Fire Chief Ned Vander Pol told NBC 7 his crews could've saved more of it had they not encountered the creek. He also said he and his family were lucky to get out unharmed because he did not have any smoke alarms inside.
No other information was available.
This is a developing story. Please refresh this page for the latest. Details may change as information becomes available.