Protests Following Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Decision Reach San Diego, 10 Arrested

NBC Universal, Inc.

Ten people were arrested during a protest that culminated outside San Diego Police Department Headquarters Wednesday evening, hours after a grand jury's decision not to bring charges against the Louisville officer who killed Breonna Taylor.

Police said most of the arrests, seven in total, were a result of crowd-goers failing to disperse when law enforcement issued an unlawful assembly order at about 10:15 p.m.

Two others were accused of robbing a pedestrian of their cell phone and reckless driving but no other information was given.

A third person was arrested for attempting to take down the American Flag, an action that may have sparked police to mobilize and clash with protesters. Prior, the demonstration remained under control, albeit tense as crowd-goers expressed their frustration for the lack of justice in the 26-year-old emergency medical worker's death.

Prosecutors argued the two officers who fired at Taylor were justified in using force to protect themselves after they were shot at. The officer who fired the fatal shot, and another who discharged his weapon face no charges, but a third Louisville Metro Police Department officer was charged with multiple counts of wanton endangerment for shooting into a home next door to Taylor's.

Protesters had gathered outside San Diego Superior Court by around 6:30 p.m. The familiar chorus of "Black Lives Matter" echoed from the street corner, and signs reading "Defund the police," and "Stop killing us" were held high in the air.

The peaceful protest was apparently organized by a group called Run For Breonna. A digital flyer for the protest posted by the group on Instagram said "Justice was not served today." The post said only Black women would be speaking.

"We're here to not only offer solutions to our people but to allow them to feel their emotions and vent their frustrations," protester H.A.L.O Speaks said.

"We're here to make sure the citizens are able to air their grievances, are able to be heard, and also give them solutions," protester Devaughn Walker said.

Just before 6 p.m., the crowd was estimated at around 50 people, but by 7 p.m. it had grown considerably and began to mobilize.

The march spanned several downtown blocks and eventually, the group converged on the San Diego Police Department's downtown headquarters.

A string of metal fences separated the crowd from officers in heavy protective gear positioned at the perimeter of the police station. A handful of people began disconnecting the fence segments and tossing them in a pile.

Just before 10 p.m., as a person among the crowd appeared to be lowering the flags flying from the pole outside the station, officers advanced and several people who were close by began running back. A few seconds later, a loud bang was heard and smoke began to cloud the area.

At around 10:15 p.m., SDPD tweeted out that it had ruled the gathering an unlawful assembly in response to acts of vandalism and violence, and threatened arrests if demonstrators didn't immediately disperse.

San Diego police said all the arrests made Wednesday night were of people with ties to the demonstration, though NBC 7 has not independently verified if the arrestees were connected to the protests.

Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical worker, was shot and killed by Louisville police officers during a botched drug raid on her home in March.

The warrant used to search her home was connected to a suspect who did not live there, and no drugs were found inside.

A grand jury in Louisville on Wednesday decided that no officers will face charges for Taylor's death.

Prosecutors argued the two officers who fired at Taylor were justified in using force to protect themselves after they were shot at by Taylor's boyfriend.

The announcement of the grand jury decision drew immediate reaction in Lousiville and across the country, with Taylor's family calling it “outrageous and offensive.

A curfew was in effect in Lousiville Wednesday night.

Just before the 9 p.m. in Louisville, as a curfew was set to take effect, two Lousiville Metro police officers were shot, according to the department. As of midnight on the east coast, one officer was alert and stable and the other was in surgery and stable, LMPD interim Chief Robert Schroeder said.

It was not clear if those shootings were linked to the protests.

Photos: Protests Following Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Decision Reach San Diego

Contact Us