A popular sports bar and restaurant in Escondido known for hosting World Cup viewing parties was shut down on Tuesday due to a vermin infestation.
Anejo Bar and Grill on Felicita Avenue was ordered closed after county Department of Environmental Health (DEH) specialists found a cockroach infestation in the building.
Several live and dead cockroaches were found in a dry food storage area, a food prep area in the kitchen, under a hot food holding unit and behind a hanging whiteboard near an ice machine, according to the June 19 inspection report. Specialists also found drain flies in the restaurant.
The DEH ordered the restaurant closed until the vermin infestation, which it considers an immediate danger to the public’s health and safety, is taken care of.
The restaurant also failed to meet other procedural and equipment violations relating to food storage and kitchen hygiene that are not causes for closure.
The report said a specialist saw an employee rinsing fish filets outside of a designated food prep area in a sink used for dishwashing.
Specialists also found some “potentially hazardous foods” were being stored at incorrect temperatures. Code requires they be kept below 41 and above 135 degrees Fahrenheit. Employees moved the food to a walk-in freezer.
Heavy grease buildup was also found on the cook line and under cooking equipment and avocado pits and other food debris were found on the ground.
The DEH said Anejo’s owners could be fined a reinspection fee if it doesn’t pass its follow-up inspection.