Pet Turtle Survives Ocean Beach House Fire

An Ocean Beach family and their pet turtle escaped a house fire Wednesday caused by a candle, fire officials said.

The fire started around 2 a.m. in the back of the home on Saratoga Avenue near Cable Street.

The two people living in the home say they went to bed with candles still burning. Fire investigators say those candles appear to have started this fire.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in about 20 minutes but could not save the home or the contents inside.

Two other buildings on the same property were not damaged.

The San Diego chapter of the American Red Cross is offering assistance to the residents in finding temporary housing.

Contact Us