San Diego

East Village Business Owner Killed by Suspects in Disguise Identified

Security cameras spotted two suspects: a man in a mask and a woman with purple hair

A man and a woman captured on surveillance cameras dressed in disguises at an East Village flooring business are considered suspects in the killing of the shop's owner Wednesday evening, police said.

Officers responded to reports of a stabbing at Bottom Price Flooring, 1015 G Street, around 3:45 p.m. after a customer called 911, according to the San Diego Police Department.

Police said Tony Radda, 49, wasn't breathing and had no pulse when they arrived. Firefighters arrived minutes later and performed CPR but could not resuscitate him, police said.

Radda, who was identified Thursday, was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Teo Sanchez has known Radda ever since the shop opened in 2000.

"I'm here with him, he's a friendly man and a very good guy. I don't understand why people do this. It's terrible," said Sanchez.

Investigators reviewed surveillance footage and saw a man wearing a mask resembling an older woman with grey hair. The suspect was wearing a dark jacket and blue jeans.

A female suspect wearing a long purple hair wig was also seen inside the business.

They fled the warehouse on foot in an unknown direction, police said.

Police confirmed to family members at the scene Wednesday that the slain man was indeed Radda. 

One friend, who asked not to be identified, described Radda as outgoing. 

"He was just a great family guy. Just wanted to make sure he took care of his family," the man said.

Sanchez said Radda would take cash collected from customers to a nearby bank every day. He believes it's possible the suspects may have picked up on that routine.

"He made the deposit every day around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, between 4 and 5 p.m. He goes to the bank, Union Bank is right around the corner," Sanchez said. 

A representative for the warehouse landlord said Radda operated his business at the location for more than 15 years.

He leaves behind a wife and two daughters, age 5 and 8.

Radda's manner of death has not been confirmed.

An online fundraising page has been established and says, "While he was tragically found alone on (sic) the afternoon his life was taken, he was never alone at heart."

SDPD's Homicide Unit is handling the investigation.

Contact Us