San Diego Police Officer Shot, Suspect Dead

A San Diego police officer shot in the torso following a high speed pursuit Sunday morning is expected to survive, according to the San Diego Police Department.

The officer, a five-year veteran of the force, is "talking, smiling, and in very good spirits" in the hospital, SDPD Chief Shelley Zimmerman said at a press conference. She said the officer sustained at least one gunshot wound. 

"She appreciates everybody's concern about her well being," Zimmerman added. 

The incident started as a high speed pursuit, when a grey late model Jeep heading southbound on State Route 163 did not yield to lights and sirens while driving approximately 90 miles per hour, Lt. Mike Hastings said. 

Officers lost sight of the suspect's car on State Route 163 at the Mesa College Exit. When additional officers assisted, officials found the suspect's car near the 7700 block of Mesa College Drive. 

The license plate linked the car to one that had been used in several shootings throughout the City of San Diego over the last several weeks, Hastings said. 

The incident turned into a foot pursuit when officers saw a man walking a short distance from where they found the car and officers approached him. The man being chased showed a gun and began firing at officers near Highway 163 at Health Center Drive, Hastings said. 

The officer, who hasn't been identified, was shot in her upper body. Initial reports said the officer was shot in the neck. Officers at the scene rendered medical aid to her, Hastings said, and took her body to a nearby hospital. She is in stable condition. 

Two other SDPD officers "fired several rounds" at the suspect, Hastings said, and he was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have not released his name but say he may be related to a series of shootings at buildings. His identity is known, however, Hastings said. 

Hastings said there may be police body camera video of the incident, though it was unclear whether that video would come from the officer that was wounded or another officer at the scene. The wounded officer was field training officer and had a trainee with her at the time of the incident. 

The name of the officer and suspect will be released when family have been notified. 

The surrounding area will be closed for at least six hours as officials investigate.

Neighbors in the area reported hearing gunshots outside their houses and could see the officer on the ground.

Dozens of emergency responders were on scene, including fire, paramedic and police officials, in addition to a helicopter circling overhead. SWAT is there as a preliminary and precautionary measure, police said.

The north entrance of Sharp Memorial Hospital is currently closed due to police activity near Health Center Drive. The Frost Street entrance remains open. Both Sharp Memorial Hospital and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital were on lockdown as a precaution in the morning. 

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call the Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

Check back for more on this breaking news story. 

Contact Us