With more than 150 breweries in San Diego County alone, it’s hard enough as it is to make a name for yourself. Imagine trying to do that against more than 2,400 of some of the best breweries in the country.
A small brewery in Ocean Beach managed to do just that this weekend at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. Ocean Beach Brewing Co. won gold for its American-style pale ale, B.Right On Pale Ale.
“It’s the first beer I’d ever brewed at OB Brewery,” brewmaster Jim Millea said. “It’s a pale ale that I’m pretty proud of and we were lucky enough to score the gold medal. I was pretty stoked.”
The category was one of the most entered categories in the competition with 170 entrants.
The winners were announced Saturday.
Hosted by the Brewers Association, the Great American Beer Fest is the biggest craft beer competition in the country. More than 2,400 breweries participated in the competition this year and close to 8,500 beer entries.
“It’s such a big festival and there’s so many good beers that come out of it,” Millea said. “Just to be part of it is pretty cool and to win the medal at all is awesome. I’m beside myself.”
What makes the win more impressive is that the brewery was only opened July 2016. OB Brewery was also recognized as the small brewpub of the year.
“We’ve been open for two years and change and to get this recognition is awesome,” Millea said. “It makes me feel super great. I’m super happy.”
This wasn’t the first the Brewers Association recognized OB Brewery. Last year, the brewery brought home silver for its Hidden Gem, a German-style wheat beer.
Besides OB Brewery, San Diego breweries were well represented at this year’s competition with 15 taking home medals.
Here are the winners:
Ocean Beach Brewery
- B.Right On Pale Ale (gold medal), an American-Style Pale Ale
North Park Beer Co.
- Bird Park (bronze), a Bohemian-Style Pilsener
Duck Foot Brewing Co.
- Redrum (silver), a Wood- and Barrel-Aged Beer
Home Brewing Co.
- Zungen Brecher (bronze), a Historical Beer
Societe Brewing Co.
- The Coachman (gold), a Session India Pale Ale
- Natural Bridge: Vienna Lager (gold), a Session Beer
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Stout (bronze), a Chocolate Beer
Karl Strauss Brewing Co.
- Liquid AC (bronze), an English-Style Summer Ale
Groundswell Brewing Co.,
- Groundswell Piloncillo Brown Ale (silver), an American-Style Brown Ale
- Know Ego (bronze), a Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout
BNS Brewing & Distilling Co.
- Rail Gun Wee Heavy(bronze), an Old Ale or Strong Ale
Rip Current Brewing Co.
- Delaminator Doppelbock (silver), a German-style Doppelbock
Port Brewing Co./The Lost Abbey
- Duck Duck Gooze (silver), a Wood- and Barrel-Aged Sour Beer
Pizza Port Solana Beach
- Oats (silver), an Oatmeal Stout
Breakwater Brewing Co.
- Rye Dawn (bronze), a Rye Beer
Burgeon Beer Co.
- Noble Miner (silver), a Session Beer