North Park Man Loses Belongings in Bungalow Fire

A North Park man returned home Wednesday to find his bungalow destroyed by fire.

Mark Leisinger said he hasn’t turned on the heater at the home on the corner of University Avenue and Park Boulevard in the year or so he’s lived there.

Fire swept through the cottage early Wednesday, just days after Leisinger organized the San Diego Run for the Hungry event. He's organized the run for five years for people less fortunate and now he is in their shoes. Just days away from Christmas he has lost everything.

He was not at home when fire sparked inside the one-bedroom home around 2:40 a.m.

San Diego Fire-Rescue crews responded and found flames coming out of the side windows of the small building.

Firefighters pulled out several pieces of burned debris and clothing from the home after they knocked down the fire within 12 minutes.

Flames destroyed the front room and damaged most of the 1,000-square foot home.

SDFD Capt. Joe Amador said the fire was an accident involving a wall heater with combustibles nearby.

The owner of the bungalows told NBC 7 he has the heaters in these homes checked once a year. 

Contact Us