A man was found dead inside a Rancho Bernardo home on Thursday morning, leading to an investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Overdose Response Team.
The man's death is suspected to be caused by a fentanyl overdose, according to the DEA.
Hazmat crews and firefighters arrived at the home on Calenda Road in Rancho Bernardo around 4 a.m. on Thursday. One San Diego firefighter was taken to the hospital as a precaution but released, according to the DEA. The DEA added that fentanyl can be dangerous for first responders.
The DEA also investigated a second location at the Comfort Inn on E. Valley Parkway in Escondido where the man was staying, according to the DEA. Hazmat was called out to the hotel and found no fentanyl in the room, according to the DEA.
The DEA said a woman was detained by their agency but no further information could be given due to the ongoing investigation.
The Medical Examiner will determine the exact cause of the man’s death.
The DEA Overdose Response Team is handling the investigation and said that the group is investigating fatal overdose deaths in San Diego.
Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.