San Diego

Suspect in Logan Heights OIS Pleads Not Guilty to Attempted Murder Charges

The man who allegedly started a gun battle with San Diego Police Department officers after they interrupted an alleged drug deal pleaded not guilty to attempted murder charges at his arraignment Thursday.

An officer attempted to stop two men believed to be making a drug deal on S. 35th Street near Logan Avenue at about 3:20 p.m. on Sept. 16, according to San Diego police.

The officer got out of his car and the men took off on foot, leading police through the streets of Logan Heights.

Two additional officers arrived during the chase and identified Enrique Aguilar, 30, running with a handgun.

When the chase reached the corner of S 33rd Street and National Avenue, under the Interstate 15 freeway overpass, Aguilar pulled out a handgun and pointed it at officers, according to SDPD. 

"(Officers) ordered the suspect to drop the gun. The suspect pointed the gun at officers and officers and the suspect engaged in a gun battle," SDPD Capt. Tom Underwood said.

Officers gave several more verbal commands to drop the weapon, but the suspect raised his handgun and pointed it at the officers, San Diego police said.

Two officers, a 20-year and a 4-year veteran of the SDPD, fired their weapons at Aguilar who was struck by at least one bullet.

Aguilar fired back, investigators said. No officers were wounded.

A weapon recovered at the scene was confirmed to be a real handgun, police said.

Aguilar allegedly threw a backpack containing methamphetamine while he was being chased, prosecutors said.

He faces eight felony charges including two counts of attempted murder on a peace officer. His next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 2.

Aguilar has a violent criminal history, and while in the hospital he harassed a nurse and tried to attack a police officer, according to prosecutors.

Anyone with more footage or information regarding the incident can call the Homicide Unit at (619) 531-2293 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

Contact Us