Lab Results Show Norovirus Sickened Diners at San Diego Restaurant

Lab results confirmed the cause of the outbreak linked to a popular Shelter Island restaurant, San Diego County Department of Environmental Health confirmed Tuesday

San Diego County health officials confirmed Tuesday that norovirus G1 sickened dozens tied to the same Shelter Island restaurant.

More than five dozen people reported feeling sick after eating at the Bali Hai restaurant on Wednesday, July 29.

Of those, at least three sought care from healthcare providers, and one person was reportedly hospitalized, county officials said Monday.

Sixty-one cases of illness were reported out of 170 people attended a banquet organized by the local chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Several employees of NBC 7 attended the dinner.

The Bali Hai, in an abundance of caution, has thoroughly cleaned and sanitized the restaurant. Officials say there should be no concern about eating there.

Bali Hai Restaurant offers Polynesian cuisine and is a popular wedding and banquet venue located on Shelter Island Drive.

Norovirus causes 19 to 21 million illnesses, 56,000 to 71,000 hospitalizations and 570 to 800 deaths annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP).

Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.

The virus can be spread person-to-person, by touching surfaces or objects with norovirus on them or by eating food or drinking liquids that are contaminated with norovirus.

The best ways to avoid it are to wash your hands with soap and water after using the restroom and always before eating or preparing food. Rinse fruits and vegetable carefully before eating them.

Contact Us