The theme for this year's annual sand castle competition in Imperial Beach was "Pirates in Paradise" and the builders did not disappoint.
This long-standing tradition returned Friday and Saturday to the Portwood Pier Plaza, showcasing the talents of world-class sandcastle sculptors.
The Sun & Sea Festival organizers have announced the winners of this year's competition and released images of their work.
2017 Imperial Beach Sand Castle Competition
The winning sculptors were:
- First Place – The Sandcastle Man Name of sculpture: Misty Mountain
- Second Place – I.B. Posse Name of sculpture: Smell The Roses
- Third Place – Sculpting San Diego Name of sculpture: Social Extinction
- First Place: I.B. Posse Family Name of sculpture: Captain’s Cove
- Second Place: Guardians of the Sand Lot Name of sculpture: Alice in Wonderland
- Third Place: Sculpintures Name of sculpture: POGO IB
People’s Choice Award:
- Team: Howies Crew Name of sculpture: Medieval Castle
The free, two-day festival included a community parade, live music, arts and crafts for the kids, an international food fair and a sand sculpting competition for children.