San Diego

Hash Oil Lab Sparks Fire at Carlsbad Home: Fire Officials

A honey oil lab appeared to have been the cause of a fire at a Carlsbad home Wednesday night, according to the Carlsbad Police Department.

The flames sparked around 6:50 p.m., on Chestnut Street, just a block away from Carlsbad High School. 

Police found a butane honey oil lab and 50 marijuana plants in the backyard of the home.

Butane is often used to extract butane honey oil, a super-potent type of hash that’s popular on the marijuana market.

Investigators said the fire sparked when the lab blew up during the extraction process.

Neighbors told NBC 7, they often had their suspicions about the house because of what they smelled.

“I googled 'What does chemicals burning, paint burning smell like?' It said either smoking, meth," said neighbor Whitney Ebert.

There was no meth found inside the home, according to police.

"I have two young kids. I was going to take them to my parent’s house if it was bad. When I heard Hazmat was involved and it was concerning for sure," said Ebert.

Two men who were at the home at the time were arrested. They have not been identified yet.

Hazmat crews were called to the scene due to the presence of chemicals.

No other information was immediately available.

Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

Contact Us