Details Emerge About Sex-Assault Suspect

Thomas James Parker arrested in connection to case on Wednesday

DNA evidence has linked a 39-year old Tierrasanta dad and Little Italy businessman to a string of sexual assault going back to June 2008, according to police.

Thomas James Parker was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly tried to assault a women in the Escala Condominium Complex in Mission Valley.

On Thursday afternoon, police said DNA matches linked Parker to three of six attacks -- not including what occurred Wednesday -- spread out over a 13-month period.

"Once the suspect was taken into custody, our lab started the DNA testing process late last night, and this afternoon they were able to give us the result and match the suspect to the series," San Diego police Capt. Jim Collins said Thursday.

"Suffice it to say -- Mr. Parker, unless he has an identical twin -- is, in fact, the source of the DNA found in these cases," said Mike Grubb, the San Diego Police Department crime-lab manager.

A suspect description and other evidence ties Parker to all seven incidents, according to investigators.

Parker followed all the women home and approached them in their garages, then used zip ties to bind his victim, police said. He is also accused of threatening to rape all the women; he did not follow through on all of those threats, however, police said.

According to a neighbor who talked with Wednesday's victim, the suspect tried to shut the garage door after he followed her inside, but the woman fought back, kicking and screaming, and managed to re-open the door and flee. That got the attention of the neighbor, who chased the suspect across busy Friars Road.

An off-duty Border Patrol agent saw what was happening, intervened and arrested the suspect.

Parker’s neighbors said he is known as "Jim" and is a family man who is married with two kids. They said he has lived in his Tierrasanta home for three years. He is the owner of the It’s a Grind coffeehouse in Little Italy. The shop was closed early Wednesday after employees were ordered home and investigators searched for clues.

Parker remains in jail Thursday on a series of charges. His bail has been set at more than $5 million.

Contact Us