San Diego

1 Man Rushed to Hospital After Fire at El Cajon Hotel

One man was injured in a fire at an El Cajon hotel Monday, Heartland Fire and Rescue officials said. 

Firefighters arrived at the Relax Inn & Suites at 1220 W. Main Street just before 5 a.m. and found a fire in a first-floor unit with a man hanging out of the bathroom window. 

The man was rushed to UCSD with injuries caused by smoke inhalation and the fire was extinguished within 8 minutes, officials said. 

El Cajon police helped to evacuate the building. 

Brittany Irwin has been staying at the hotel for approximately a week and she heard sirens and saw engines pulling into the parking lot. 

"I heard a lot of banging like 'Get out of the rooms,'" she said. "I wasn't sure what was going on." 

Irwin said she saw smoke and a lot of activity outside of her room. 

"It was crazy, crazy," she said. "Unexpected." 

Irwin said her belongings were not damaged because she was staying in a second-story unit. 

One unit was damaged. 

Battalion Chief Chris Case said San Diego County Sheriff's Bomb and Arson Department were requested to look into the cause of the fire. 

No other information was available.

Contact Us