Oceanside Family Suffers Smoke Inhalation in Apartment Fire

A bystander helped pull the family, including two young girls, out of the burning apartment on Douglas Drive

A family in Oceanside, including a child and an infant, suffered smoke inhalation Friday morning when a fire ripped through their apartment.

The Oceanside Fire Department (OFD) said a bystander called firefighters just after 9 a.m. to report flames coming from a unit along the 200 block of Douglas Drive. That bystander then rushed into the apartment to help the residents get out.

OFD Battalion Chief Greg de Avila said crews were able to quickly knock out the fire. A mother and her kids living in the apartment were all taken to local hospitals for smoke inhalation.

Avila said the fire started in the kitchen, likely while someone was cooking. It caused significant damage to the home, including charred countertops and cabinets in the kitchen.

Nearby apartments were evacuated as crews battled the fire.

Firefighters were able to prevent the flames from spreading to other units in the apartment building.

Upstairs neighbor Ryan Kelly said another neighbor called him at work to tell him about the fire. He rushed home to check on his dog and his apartment. Kelly was grateful his home was unscathed but felt bad for the downstairs neighbors.

“My place is safe upstairs, but it looks like the place down here is pretty done for,” he said.

Crews remained at the scene mopping up hot spots. Firefighters were able to pull some of the kids’ toys out of the apartment.

No further details were released.

Contact Us