Dealing With Dog Barking Problem? Here's What You Can Do

If you're baffled on how to deal with a persistently barking dog, here's information on how cities in San Diego County deal with complaints. Every agency recommends you first try and talk with your neighbor to resolve the problem. 

San Diego

San Diego Municipal Code states long continued noise (including from animals) causing annoyance is unlawful. Cases that have the necessary support may be referred to mediation or the City may issue administrative fines. Code Enforcement can only take action when the city receives signed statements from two or more residents living in difference households. Other enforcement remedies are also available for severe cases. For more, click here.


The City of Carlsbad contracts for animal control services through the County of San Diego Department of Animal Services. For a dog that is barking because it is suffering or is in distress, call the Department of Animal Services North County emergency number at 760-438-1460. Complaints about noise associated with barking dogs can be reported to the non-emergency number at 760-438-2312. For more, click here.

Chula Vista

Chula Vista Municipal Code 6.24.040 addresses barking dogs, enforcement procedure and nuisance. If you deal with this problem, click on “Barking Dog Complaints,” fill out and submit the form. The City of Chula Vista must receive complaint forms from two or more separate households within 100 feet of the property boundary line where the barking dog is located. Call 619-691-5123 with any additional questions. For more, click here.


You can call Oceanside Police Department dispatch at 760-435-4900. The city’s website indicates, “Due to constrained resources barking dog complaints are not considered a priority and will be addressed as resources permit. Individuals may consult an attorney to evaluate possible civil remedies.” For more, click here.


Depending on the circumstances, the Escondido Humane Society or the Escondido Police Department may address the public disturbance. Code Enforcement can only regulate the number of dogs on the property. Contact Escondido Humane Society at 760-888-BARK or call the Escondido Police Non-Emergency Line at 760-839-4722. For more, click here.


Barking dog complaints can be submitted to the Code Enforcement office. Staff will send the property owner and/or tenant a notification of the complaint, requesting that they control the dog(s) within one week. Should the violation continue, the complainant is required to confer with another neighbor and each keep a noise log for at least three days. The City then works with the Sheriff’s department in order to gain compliance. For more, click here.

El Cajon

The El Cajon Police Department’s website states, “Animal Control recommends talking with the owner of the barking dog to make them aware of the problem. Many times, owners don’t realize their pet is creating a disturbance in their absence.” If that doesn’t work, there is a three-step process to get law enforcement involved. 1) Send a the El Cajon Animal Shelter a letter or visit the shelter to make a complaint. They send a letter to the owner stating a complaint was made. 2) If Step 1 doesn’t solve the problem, fill out a questionnaire. That becomes the second complaint. You’ll need to log the barking and submit your log. 3) Log is the third complaint. Your complaint is no longer confidential at this point and you must be willing to sign a complaint and appear in court if needed. An Animal Control Officer (ACO) will be assigned to your case and will contact you, the owner, and neighbors in the area. Prosecution is an option. For more, click here.

Del Mar

Information not found

San Marcos

The City of San Marcos contracts animal control services with the Escondido Humane Society. For questions, please call (760) 888-BARK between 10 am and 6 pm, seven days a week or visit In San Marcos, noise at any time of the day is illegal if it is considered a nuisance by your neighbors and could result in fines. San Marcos quiet hours are between 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekday and 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekends. For more, click here.


Coronado Animal Services responds to barking dog complaints in Coronado. For more, click here.


Barking dog complaints are handled by Animal Control Officers with the San Diego Humane Society within the city limits of Vista. Many times after an Animal Control Officer has contacted the dog owner the problem is solved. However, if the problem continues, residents have other options including: mediation, calling the Sheriff’s Office, notifying the Home Owners Association or contacting a civil attorney. The organization, North County Lifeline provides free mediation/ counseling service to the public. To arrange a mediation session between yourself and the dog owner, call 760-726-4900. For more, click here.

La Mesa

If talking with your neighbor does not solve the problem, the City of La Mesa suggests you turn in a Barking Dog Questionnaire. You can also pick it up at City Hall or their police department. The form helps Animal Control pinpoint barking problems when talking to the owner. For more, click here.


The City of Poway has a noise ordinance that governs this issue. You can report barking dog complaints by submitting a service request to the Humane Society or by calling (760) 888-2236 to leave a message. The Humane Society will respond within 48 hours. For more, click here.

Solana Beach

Information not found


On the City of Santee’s website, it indicates its residents should contact the Sheriff’s Department at 858-565-5200 with dog barking complaints. For more, click here.

National City

National City’s Field Services investigates complaints of animal neglect or nuisance. For more, click here.

Imperial Beach

You can fill out an Animal Control Complaint on the city of Imperial Beach's website. Dog barking incidents are considered "priority 2." For more, click here

Contact Us