San Diego

Navy Vet Rushes Into Burning Home With Caretaker to Save Disabled Man Stuck Inside: Son

"(He) put himself in harm's way, trying to help somebody out," the Navy veteran's son said.

A U.S. Navy veteran rushed into a burning home to save his neighbor, an elderly, disabled man, on Thanksgiving, neighbors told NBC 7. 

The fire broke out around 10:18 a.m. Thursday on the 3800 block of Carbo Court in La Mesa. The location is just north of State Route 94. 

The initial fire started in the garage, fire officials said.

Erik Landi said his father was nearby when he smelled smoke and rushed into the home with the man's caretaker. 

"He went in with a caretaker and they both grabbed him by the arms and dragged him out," Landi recalled. 

His father tried to put out the fire in the garage and turn off the gas, but the valve got stuck. 

"(He) put himself in harm's way, trying to help somebody out," Landi said. 

The flames quickly extended into the home. Heartland fire officials got a handle on the fire and put it out. The home sustained significant damage. 

One resident suffered burns as a result of the fire and was taken to a local hospital.  

A fire on a day like Thanksgiving reminded Landi of the importance of family. 

"It makes you think about your family, and how lucky you are to have your own family," Landi said. 

No other information was available.

Contact Us