One dog died and a second was rescued from a Chula Vista house fire on Festival Court Tuesday.
Chula Vista and San Diego Fire-Rescue crews were called to a two-story home showing flames and smoke on the 3700 block of Festival Court shortly before noon.
A neighbor called 911 when he saw smoke. No one was in the home at the time.
Firefighters found a dog inside the home. The dog was unharmed and is being taken care of by the neighbor until the homeowners return.
"I told the firefighters there was a dog inside, so they looked for the dog and found the dog and let the dog out. They gave it oxygen and brought him out and all that. He seems to be okay," said neighbor Theresa Acerro.
Neighbor Theresa Acerro said a second dog, found hiding under the bed when the fire was put out, was overcome by smoke inhalation and died.
The fire was knocked down in ten minutes.
“There was no other exposure to any neighboring property and the damage was limited to the one story home," Battalion Chief Sean Lowery told NBC 7.
The homeowners will not be able to spend the night at their home, because of the heavy smoke and fire damage.
No one was injured. Officials have not identified a cause.