San Diego

At Least 20 Displaced in Lakeside Apartment Fire

A second alarm was called due to the heat

Four units were damaged and at least 20 people were displaced in an apartment fire in Lakeside Wednesday.

The flames sparked at the 12000 block of Mapleview Street around 5:40 p.m., Heartland Fire Department confirmed.

According to Fire Chief Don Butz with the Lakeside Fire Protection District, the fire was caused by a malfunction in a gas barbecue on a patio. Several propane gas tanks also exploded.

Two ends units were engulfed in flames, Butz told NBC 7.

Crews arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the building.

Kathy Smith said she saw the flames and drove over to see what was going on. 

"I was just hoping there was nobody in there. There was a real loud bang and the flames got really big and it was pretty scary," Smith said.

She told NBC 7, a friend of hers lives in the unit below where the fire began but was able to get out.  

Butz said 32 people live in the complex, 20 of who were displaced. Other residents may also be displaced, depending on the extent of the fire damage.

There were no injuries.

A second alarm was called due to the heat, Butz said. 

Logistical support was on scene handing out water and cold towels to firefighters. Crews also rotated as they battled the flames, he told NBC 7.

Temperatures reached triple digits in some parts of San Diego County during the heat wave.

No other information was immediately available.

Contact Us