Defensive lineman Joey Bosa, the third overall pick in the NFL Draft, has rejected the most recent offer from the San Diego Chargers, one the team described as their "best offer."
"We gave Joey’s representatives our best offer last night, which was rejected today," the team announced in a written release Wednesday.
In an unusual move, the team released what was in the offer:
- An initial signing bonus payment larger than any player in the League has received in the last two drafts.
- More money in this calendar year than every player in this year’s draft except one (QB Carson Wentz).
- The largest payment and the highest percentage of signing bonus received in the first calendar year of any Chargers’ first-round selection since the inception of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement (2011).
When Chargers camp opened in July, Bosa was no where to be seen and Chargers head coach Mike McCoy was not happy about it.
As NBC 7 Sportswrap reported, Bosa wants more of the bonus money paid earlier in the contract and to have what’s known as offset language where he can get paid by two teams if he’s released before the contract expires.
The team said all summer that it would negotiate the first point but would not negotiate the second point.
As of Wednesday, the team said they would restructure an offer now that they feel the rookie can not contribute for the whole season without time spent in camp and in preseason games.
Less than an hour after the team released its statement, fans reacted on Facebook and Twitter with strong opinions, both in favor of Bosa and against him.