Sports Anchor Testifies in Court During Second Day of Trial

Kraska told the court that he had also been threatened by Montana prior to the shooting.

The trial for the man accused of shooting a San Diego sports anchor in Scripps Ranch last year continued into its second day on Tuesday.

Sports anchor Kyle Kraska for KFMB-TV, the CBS affiliate in San Diego took the stand Tuesday and spoke about the day he was attacked by house painter Mike Montana.

Montana is accused of shooting Kraska in a Scripps Ranch cul-de-sac in February 2015. Kraska was hit by four bullets and was hospitalized for weeks.

He was cross examined in court Tuesday and also gave a testimony of the terrifying moments during the shooting

"I remember just diving back into the car and got into a fetal position and hoped the car would protect me,” Kraska. “My head was in my hands and I was just praying he would run out of bullets.”

During his testimony, Kraska said he had hired Montana to do some painting work on his house and had Montana up front. When Montana asked him for more money, Kraska asked for receipts as proof and that’s when things escalated.

Kraska told the court that he had also been threatened by Montana prior to the shooting.

“I was asleep. It was very early in the morning. I heard what sounded like a fist banging on the door,” Kraska said. “I jumped out of bed with my heart pounding. I opened my door and didn't see anybody. I looked down and saw there was a folded up piece of paper with my name on it.”

Kraska crawled 50 to 60 feet to another road to get help and was taken to Scripps La Jolla Hospital. He recalled that emotional conversation with the doctor just before going into surgery.

“He said ‘we're going to have to put you under now, is there anything else you would like to say before we put you under,’” Kraska said. “And I said, ‘please save my life.’”

On Monday, Montana’s attorney said his client had been prescribed a “barrage” of medications at the time of the shooting. 

Montana had pleaded not guilty. He is facing attempted murder if convicted.

The trial is expected to resume Wednesday.

Contact Us