A man suffered second-degree burns Sunday in an explosion at a storage unit in Santee.
The incident happened at 12:17 p.m. Sunday on the 10100 block of Mission Gorge Road in Santee, San Diego Sheriff's deputies (SDSO) and Heartland Fire officials said.
The 47-year-old victim owns a ’93 Chevy pickup that he stores in a 10x30 unit at the facility on Mission Gorge Road near Riverview Parkway.
Some fuel vapors in the storage unit ignited when a vehicle was started, according to Santee Fire Department Capt. John Sengebusch.
The truck owner suffered second-degree burns on his back, Sengebusch said.
Investigators believe the electrical ignition from an air bag device sparked the fuel vapors.
The explosion blew out several walls and damaged six storage units.
“The damage was just the structural, the walls between the units,” Sengebusch said.
“Just the physical damage from the explosion.”
The truck was not burned but will need some repairs due to the power of the blast.