Investigators say an illegal bottle rocket may be to blame for a small brush fire Tuesday in the Eastlake area of Chula Vista.
Though several homes were threatened, no homes were damaged and no one was injured.
Fierce flames started devouring the brush around 7:08 p.m. on Mt Miguel Road and Paseo Veracruz.
Nearby homes in San Miguel Ranch were threatened, the Chula Vista Fire Department (CVFD) confirmed.
"My grandpa was saying he's going to go in the neighbor’s yard and get the hose," said resident Devon O' Brian. "We sort of stayed back and let them do their job. They’re pretty good at what they do.”
The fire was spreading at a slow rate, but the flames were ferocious. Firefighters fought on the ground and in the air where a helicopter made four water drops.
Carlos Taitano and family were hiking Mount Miguel when the fire started. They called 911 and mapped out an escape route in case the flames threatened their safety.
"On the backside, there's a golf course back there. If anything, we could try and outrun it going downhill," explained Taitano.
Fire officials said a bottle rocket possibly started the blaze. Use of personal fireworks is illegal in San Diego County.