Mission Valley Residents Evacuated for HazMat Incident

Residents in Mission Valley were left without explanation for several hours Monday evening when San Diego HazMat crews told them only that they needed to leave immediately.

HazMat crews, police and fire rescue officials evacuated and cordoned off part of the area at Riverrun Drive and Friars Road after they said a man locked himself inside a third-story bathroom with two barbeques.

Fire officials said the man was trying to kill himself, and carbon monoxide levels in the unit were extremely high, putting emergency crews and the public at risk.

"I was shocked," said apartment resident Michael Sotomayor. "I didn't smell anything at all. Only a barbeque taking place by the pool. I wasn't alarmed until I walked outside."

San Diego Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Dan Froelich said crews had to use caution entering the apartment to ensure the emergency responders weren't at risk.

The HazMat team was able to successfully secure the scene and the evacuation was lifted. Electricity and gas were restored shortly thereafter.

San Diego police are investigating.

Disclaimer: If you or someone you know is considering suicide, call the National Suicide prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-8255

Contact Us