Gas Station Murder, Shootout Suspect Pleads Not Guilty From Hospital Bed

Ahmed Hassan Mumin, 30, is accused of shooting and killing Eric Schade, 48, at a gas station on April 16 and getting into a shootout with police on April 18

A San Diego man accused of killing a customer at a gas station during a robbery and prompting a shootout with police two days later pleaded not guilty from a hospital Wednesday.

Cuffed to his bed, Ahmed Hassan Mumin, 30, was arraigned at Scripps Mercy Hospital's trauma unit in Hillcrest, recovering from a gunshot wound doled out to him by officers.

Investigators say surveillance video shows Mumin fatally shooting innocent bystander Eric Schade, 48, during a robbery at a gas station convenience store in Clairemont on April 16.

"At one point, the victim makes a halfhearted swipe at the firearm to get it away because it's being pointed at him," said Assistant District Attorney Michael Runyon. "At that point, the defendant takes a step back and fires one round at point blank range into the victim's chest."

Mumin was on the run for two days when San Diego police caught up to him on April 18 at an apartment complex on Winona Avenue in City Heights that he was known to frequent.

Police had the complex under surveillance when a resident reported Mumin allegedly prowling around, attempting to break into apartments during the early morning hours on April 18.

Officers surrounded the complex. When they approached a community-use room, Mumin allegedly opened fire on two police officers, narrowly missing them. The officers returned fire, shooting Mumin at least once in the torso.

He was taken to Scripps Mercy Hospital. Once he’s treated, he will be jailed and charged with murder, armed robbery and attempted murder of two police officers, SDPD Lt. Paul Rorrison said.

According to court records, Mumin has a criminal history that includes a 2011 case in which he was charged alongside four others. Mumin was charged with kidnapping and robbery and pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of false imprisonment with violence.

He presented handwritten letter to the court dated April 27, 2012, in which he vowed to make “wise decisions” in the future, redeem his life and “become a better man.”

The suspect's preliminary hearing is scheduled for next month.

Contact Us