Sailor Follows Car With Bleeding Man on Windshield - NBC 7 San Diego

Sailor Follows Car With Bleeding Man on Windshield

A U.S. Navy Sailor followed a speeding car after a deadly shooting in Barrio Logan



    Sailor Follows Car With Bleeding Man on Windshield
    The suspects were driving a white Dodge Neon.

    It sounds like a scene from a movie – gunmen exchange fire between two cars, one car speeds off with a bleeding victim on the hood of the car and blood all over the windshield.

    Then a witness -- a member of the U.S. navy -- gives chase.

    It all began in Barrio Logan Tuesday night when a 9-1-1 caller described several males fighting in the street, followed by an exchange of gunfire between two vehicles at the intersection of 28th and Main Street.

    "I heard gunshots, three gunshots," said Devin Gibbs, a sailor in the Navy.

    Gibbs was at a McDonald's drive thru on Main Street when he heard gunshots and saw a white Dodge Neon speeding down the road at about 60 miles per hour.

    "There was a guy on the hood, on his side, blood all over the windshield," Gibbs said.

    The victim was inside the Neon when the confrontation started between the occupants of that vehicle and the occupants of a brown pickup truck, according to police.

    “The occupants of both vehicles retrieved guns and began shooting at each other,” Captain Terry McManus said. “The victim was struck by gunfire while in or near the white compact vehicle.”

    After being shot, he fell on top of the vehicle while it was traveling westbound on Main Street. The car stopped and the victim fell from the vehicle, police said.

    The occupants left the injured victim in the street, and fled westbound on Main Street.

    "I went passed them and waited for them to leave so I could follow them,” Gibbs said.

    He called police and began following the Neon across the Coronado Bay Bridge. Gibbs said the car stopped at Sharp Coronado Hospital and a man, who appeared to be shot, got out and walked himself into the emergency room. 

    The two other men inside the Neon allegedly drove around the corner and parked on 2nd Street and ran off.

    "About mid 20's, bald head and white t-shirts on,” Gibbs said. “One had a gun and they had blood on them."

    San Diego police and Coronado police searched for the men on Coronado to no avail.

    The gunshot victim who fell off the car was later pronounced dead at UCSD Medical Center. The other victim was transferred to a local trauma center and is expected to survive.

    Investigators are interviewing several witnesses with the hope of identifying the occupants of the brown pickup truck. The motivation for the shooting is not known at this time.

    Deputies asked Gibbs why he decided to follow the car.

    “Serving my country," he said.