SDPD Officer Guilty of Stalking - NBC 7 San Diego

SDPD Officer Guilty of Stalking



    A San Diego police sergeant accused of stalking and harassing a female colleague pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges Monday.

    Kenneth Davis, 48, was sentenced to three years of probation, ordered to take a class on stalking, and directed to do 10 days of community service, according to Deputy District Attorney Teresa Santana.

    He was given credit for one day in jail.

    Santana plans to ask the court for restitution for the victim.

    SDPD Officer Pleads Guilty to Stalking

    [DGO] SDPD Officer Pleads Guilty to Stalking
    San Diego Police Sgt. Ken Davis entered a guilty plea in a stalking case but he will not serve anytime in jail and may not lose his job or the right to carry a gun. Tony Shin reports.
    (Published Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2011)

    The judge also ordered Davis not to have any contact with the victim, 13-year SDPD veteran Officer Robin Hayes.

    According to Hayes, Davis followed and harassed her from late June until early September of last year, and harassed her by phone at least five times in early August.

    Hayes, testified that during one meeting, she pulled out her gun to protect herself, fearful that Davis would hurt her.

    Sergeant Accused of Stalking Officer

    [DGO] Sergeant Accused of Stalking Officer
    A veteran San Diego police sergeant is accused of stalking a female officer and repeatedly harassing her with unwanted phone calls and other contact.
    (Published Wednesday, April 13, 2011)

    During her testimony, Hayes detailed her relationship with the defendant, explaining how the two stopped a sexual relationship in January 2010 but kept in contact for months after, meeting for a walk, a lunch and a dinner and sharing a kiss in her home during that time.

    “I told him ‘I don’t want him to be confused and I don’t want to talk anymore and I need to focus on my children and my job and my career,’” she testified.

    A few weeks later, Davis sent a letter to Hayes’ mother in which he said he was “obsessed with her,” according to testimony.

    Why Alleged Stalking Victim Didn't Call 911

    [DGO] Why Alleged Stalking Victim Didn't Call 911
    A San Diego police officer testified in a downtown courtroom how a former colleague, a San Diego police sergeant, stalked her and threatened to kill her. Here, she explained why she didn't call 911 when Sgt. Ken Davis appeared at her home after she rekindled a relationship with an ex.
    (Published Wednesday, April 27, 2011)

    Through text messages in August, Davis demanded she speak to him and accused her of wrecking his marriage, Hayes testified. It was after these text messages that Hayes said she began to fear Davis.

    Then on August 7, 2010, when she was working with the Mid-City Division, Hayes returned to the station between 1:15 a.m. and 1:20 a.m. to use the restroom and to fuel up at the police gas station.

    She said she spotted Davis, who was not scheduled to be working with that division, inside another police car fueling up at the same time.

    With her voice quivering, Hayes testified that she took the gun out of her holster and held it at her hip. She told the court she felt scared because she wasn’t sure what he was going to do.