Roof Collapses in Rancho Bernardo Community Center Fire - NBC 7 San Diego

Roof Collapses in Rancho Bernardo Community Center Fire

NBC 7's Danya Bacchus reports on this breaking news in the NBC 7 News at 11 p.m. on Thursday, August 14, 2014. (Published Friday, Aug. 15, 2014)

A fire at a Rancho Bernardo community center caused the building’s roof to collapse Thursday.

Several engines and ladders arrived to battle the fire that had spread into the attic at the Oak North Community Center on 12578 Oaks North Drive just before 10 p.m.

While firefighters were on the attic fighting the fire below, a portion of the roof collapsed, officials said.

No firefighters were injured.

The fire was first reported by a maintenance worker. There were no members of the public on the property at the time the fire started, officials said.

Neighbors in the area were concerned it might spread because the property is surrounded by tall trees.

One resident from a nearby condo complex had just opened her windows as she headed to bed when she smelled smoke.

“It’s kind of scary because we’re one of the closest units to the fire,” Mary Hustwick said. “I got some of my neighbors awake just so they knew what was happening.”

Overnight, officials determined, the fire started with an electrical problem in the sauna of the men's locker room.