San Diegans submitted their votes on two controversial measures Tuesday night: Measure C and Measure D.
With 100 percent of precincts reporting as of 7:37 a.m. Wednesday, voters rejected both the Chargers ballot measure and the Citizens' Plan.
The passage of Measure C would have resulted in a 6 percent hotel transient occupancy tax (TOT) hike and a $650 million pledge from the San Diego Chargers for a new downtown stadium and convention center annex, effectively keeping the Chargers in San Diego for at least 30 more years.
April Boling with the "No on C" campaign said she and her team aren't surprised by the early results.
"The votes aren't all in yet so we're going to kind of keep watching but I think this is the first step," Boling said. "We need to, the next few days, start talking about how we're really going to get a high quality stadium and convention center expansion in San Diego which is what everyone wants we just need a different deal."
Get live local election results here.
Measure C needed a two-thirds vote to pass, but last week the Chargers filed an amicus brief in appellate court that could subject the measure to a simple majority vote later on.
Measure D proposes a 5 percent increase in TOT, the abolishment of the Tourism Marketing District and opens the doors for the land where Qualcomm Stadium, the Chargers’ current home, currently sits to be sold, if vacated, to one or more of the local colleges or universities or the San Diego River Conservancy.
The measure would also prevent bay front expansion of the existing convention center, and create a 12-block Overlay Zone near Petco Park dedicated to the development of a new convention center, sports facility or combined facilities.
Just before 1 a.m., Dean Spanos, San Diego Chargers Owner, released the following statement:
Despite the fact that Measure C failed to receive a two-thirds majority, I wanted to reach out right away with a very sincere thank you for your loyal support as a fan and for considering our initiative.
"There is much we can be proud of tonight: the 110,000 residents who qualified the measure in just six short weeks; the vocal and passionate support from our fan groups and corporate partners; the strong endorsements and hard work of numerous civic, business, and labor leaders; and the heartfelt efforts of our alumni and players. In terms of what comes next for the Chargers, it’s just too early to give you an answer. We are going to diligently explore and weigh our options, and do what is needed to maintain our options, but no decision will be announced until after the football season concludes and no decision will be made in haste. The outpouring of support from friends like you, and so many others, has been heartwarming throughout the campaign and I will continue to be mindful of that in the weeks ahead. Thank you, again, for believing in the Chargers. Everyone on the team and in my family appreciates your loyal support and continued patience, and we look forward to an exciting rest of the season."
Just after 6:40 a.m. Wednesday, the "No on C" Coalition released the following statements:
"We are pleased, obviously, but it is time to come together and focus on San Diego. Our opposition had nothing to do with the Chargers. It had everything to do with their plan to raise taxes by more than $1 billion. We said from Day 1 we want the Chargers to remain in San Diego and that certainly has not changed. If we move forward together, and if we put San Diego first, I have no doubt we will be able to develop a plan that works for the team and for taxpayers." -April Boling, chair of the No on C coalition
"Campaigns are often challenging and this one was no exception, but it is time to set aside our differences. If we do that, and if we commit to open and honest negotiations, we will arrive at a solution that works for the Chargers and for San Diego. That is what we wanted all along. If we work together we can keep the Chargers here without exposing taxpayers to significant financial risks." -Councilmember Chris Cate
"I truly believe that a fair agreement can be reached if a sincere effort is made to bring all stakeholders to the table to reach a deal for a new stadium. Before ending nearly 60 years of football tradition and fan loyalty, I hope Dean Spanos and the Chargers organization will finally attempt to reach a deal through consensus that will serve the best interests of the Chargers, the fans and the taxpayers. I stand ready to put the past behind us and assist in any way possible. Tomorrow is a new day in San Diego." -Councilmember Scott Sherman
"This is a big win for those of us who know Downtown San Diego is about much more than a stadium. I have always maintained that Measure C would hamstring our ability to put resources where they are needed most, and I look forward to taking office without ballot-box land-use decisions undermining our opportunity to do great things Downtown. I am excited to move forward with a vision for Downtown that will produce solid middle-class jobs, help relieve our housing crisis, and make San Diego work better for everyone." -Councilmember-Elect Chris Ward
"This is a proud day for San Diego, and the country will take note. The people and the entire City Council stood up to the reckless greed of the NFL. Now maybe the team can get serious about Mission Valley and Downtown can get back to pursuing its vision. Dean Spanos outspent us 100 to 1, but we had one thing on our side that $7.5 million could not buy: common sense." -Rob Quigley, F.A.I.A.
"The defeat of Measures C & D is about more than just rejecting a monstrous stadium. It represents the glow of a brave neighborhood with a historical struggling nature that has evolved into becoming recognized. Barrio Logan is an integral part of the identity profile of our city, viewed as such by a local audience and a global interest about what San Diego has to offer and what we are all about." -Artist Mario Torero
“Measure C was never about whether San Diegans love the Chargers but whether it was a good investment for the City of San Diego, which it was not. San Diegans did not want to tie up more than $3 billion for 30 years in a football stadium. It’s time for the Mayor to support his Citizens’ Stadium Advisory Group recommendation and build a big vision for Mission Valley. It’s where the stadium belongs, not in Downtown, where its massive size would be completely out of proportion to the surrounding neighborhoods, blocking iconic views of San Diego Bay and the Coronado Bridge.” -Julie Meier Wright, former President and CEO of the San Diego Regional Economic Development Corporation and former California Secretary of Trade & Commerce
Check back for updates as full results come in.