Man Accused of Killing Wife Found in Mexico, Arrested - NBC 7 San Diego

Man Accused of Killing Wife Found in Mexico, Arrested

Jeremy Green, 40, is suspected of shooting and killing his wife Tressa, 37, outside their marriage counselor's office on June 6



    Manhunt Murder Suspect "Wanted to Surrender": PD

    The manhunt for a suspected killer ended when Jeremy Green, suspected of killing his wife, surrendered to authorities at the U.S.-Mexico border. NBC 7's Artie Ojeda reports. (Published Friday, June 12, 2015)

    A man accused of fatally shooting his wife outside their Scripps Ranch marriage counselor’s office on June 6 surrendered to San Diego police early Friday after authorities tracked him down in Mexico.

    “It’s been several days. We’ve had conversations back and forth with him to facilitate his surrender,” said San Diego Police Department Capt. David Nisleit at a news briefing Friday, discussing the arrest of manhunt and murder suspect Jeremy Green.

    “He wanted to surrender. He just wanted to do it on his terms – and surrender to U.S. authorities. We were able to facilitate that early this morning and he’s currently in custody,” Capt. Nisleit added.

    The San Diego Police Department said Green, 40, escaped in a 2007 silver Corvette after shooting his wife, Tressa Green, 37, to death in the parking lot of a business complex nearly one week ago. The fatal shooting sparked a statewide manhunt for Green, who law enforcement called armed and dangerous.

    On Wednesday, investigators found Green's Corvette abandoned in a Jack-in-the-Box parking lot in San Ysidro near the U.S.-Mexico border. The parking lot was within a short walk to the pedestrian border crossing.

    Surveillance video provided by the lot's employees shows a man in a blue shirt parking the Corvette on Saturday at 3 p.m. Green shot his wife at about 2:10 p.m. that day, according to police.

    Upon the discovery of the suspect's car near the border, the police manhunt for Green turned international.

    Authorities were able to track Green down in Cancun, Mexico. Capt. Nisleit said police had been in contact with the suspect for "multiple days" negotiating his surrender.

    He said multiple agencies worked tirelessly on the exhaustive manhunt for Green, but he could not reveal details of the investigative techniques used to track the suspect down to Cancun.

    Capt. Nisleit said Green met authorities in Tijuana and eventually agreed to turn himself in to San Diego police. He crossed the border and was taken into custody at about 1 a.m. Friday at the San Ysidro Point of Entry, according to police.

    U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) said that as Green returned to the U.S., agents at the border crossing confirmed his active felony warrant through the Integrated Automated Fingerprint System (IAFIS). CBP said agents then turned Green over to detectives with the SDPD at the Port of Entry.

    The captain said said Green was cooperative with police during the arrest process. He was booked into San Diego Central Jail where he is currently being held without bail and is tentatively scheduled to make his first court appearance on Monday.

    Police said Green has retained a lawyer.

    Capt. Nisleit said the police department was thankful no one was injured during the manhunt and "no further malice was done."

    “Mr. Green is now in custody. We had a very violent person on the loose, and he’s now in custody. That’s the key here,” he said.

    Court documents revealed that the Greens had been dealing with financial troubles, including two bankruptcies, as the couple lived in Rancho Bernardo with their three children. Tressa filed for divorce in April.

    When asked what type of evidence detectives discovered in Green's car abandoned near the border crossing earlier this week, Capt. Nisleit said he could not discuss those details, as the investigation is ongoing.