Campo Couple Settling in Front of TV Ambushed by Flames - NBC 7 San Diego

Campo Couple Settling in Front of TV Ambushed by Flames

"The TV went out first; we heard this loud 'pop,'" said Campo resident Ken Alkire, describing the moments when a fire sparked at his home on SR-94

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Campo House Fire

    (Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019)

    A man who was injured Thursday when a fire tore through his home along State Route 94 in Campo told NBC 7 he's just happy his wife and dogs are okay.

    The "La Posta Fire"was reported at 5 p.m. on the 33500 block of the highway. SkyRanger 7 saw the home from above engulfed in flames spewing thick, black smoke into the air.

    It was Ken Alkire's three-story home of 27 years underneath the raging fire. He said he and his wife had just gotten comfortable in front of the TV when chaos unleashed.

    "The TV went out first; we heard this loud 'pop,'" Alkire said.

    Outside by the solar power supply, a fire was climbing up the side of the couple's home. In less than 15 minutes, Alkire said the house was engulfed.

    "Between the windows being blown out and all the fans going in the house, it just sucked it right through the house," he said.

    Alkire said he suffered a few first-degree burns and blisters on the bottom of his feet.

    Though his home and many of his belongings were reduced to rubble and ash, he said, in the end, all that matters is that his family is safe.

    "Material things can be replaced," Alkire said. "As long as my wife and two dogs are fine everything else can be replaced."

    Cal Fire said the flames had spread from the home to surrounding brush and burned less than an acre of land. As of around 7 p.m., the fire was 50 percent contained.

    No other information was available.

    Get the latest from NBC 7 San Diego anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android