Mathis Home Invasion Suspect Sent to Jail - NBC 7 San Diego

Mathis Home Invasion Suspect Sent to Jail

Harvey Henry Duson was arrested after a crash in Arizona



    Mathis Home Invasion Suspect Sent to Jail
    San Diego Police
    Harvey Henry Duson, 45, is wanted in the violent home invasion robbery on Jan. 11.

    The man who police believe assaulted a former city councilman and then led police on a wild chase through multiple states is behind bars.

    Harvey Henry Duson, 45, was arrested after allegedly invading the home of MTS Board Chair Harry Mathis and violently assaulting him on Jan. 11. 

    Duson was extradited to San Diego and booked into jail Wednesday night.

    Duson's arrest in February came after a 2-hour standoff with police, followed by a highspeed chase and crash near the Arizona-Nevada border. Two other suspects are still on the loose.

    Home Invasion, Standoff Suspect Arrested

    [DGO] Home Invasion, Standoff Suspect Arrested
    Harvey Henry Duson, 45, is wanted by San Diego police officers in connection with the Jan. 11 robbery and beating of Harry Mathis. Two other suspects are connected to the invasion and assault.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012)


    Duson was also the target of a police standoff that slowed traffic on a major San Diego area highway late Tuesday. Officers believed he was inside the car, but after two hours of the standoff, they determined he was not inside. He was also recently released from 16 years in prison.

    Detectives continued an extensive search for Duson after identifying him Tuesday afternoon.

    Standoff Suspect Arrested

    [DGO] Standoff Suspect Arrested
    A suspect in the beating of a former council member is in the hospital after high speed police chase.
    (Published Thursday, March 1, 2012)

    He was finally arrested in Arizona, according to the Arizona Highway Patrol. 

    He was pulled over for speeding near the Utah and Arizona border. When an officer tried to arrest him, he took off. Officers in Arizona chased Duson for about 25 minutes at speeds reaching 100 miles per hour before putting stop sticks on the road to end the chase.

    Duson veered to miss the sticks, but the quick movement caused his vehicle to skid and roll three times. It stopped after hitting a guardrail.

    Officers drew weapons as they approached his vehicle, but then discovered he was trapped. Emergency crews pulled him from the car with jaws of life and he was transported to the hospital.

    Duson was charged with unlawful flight from law enforcement, endangerment and three counts of felony criminal damage.

    Keep up to date on breaking news: Download our improved iPhone app, follow us on Twitter @nbcsandiego, fan us on Facebook, sign up for our breaking news e-mail alerts or text SDBREAKING to 622339 to receive text messages for local breaking news. (For more info, text HELP. To end, text STOP. Message and data rates may apply.)