A crew from Chula Vista Electrical was working on the electrical system at 1010 Second Avenue around 7 a.m. They were making repairs after a power outage Christmas Day when fire broke out according to Deputy Chief Ken Malbrough. The heat from the flash fire caused the sprinkler to go off said Malbrough. Now the water has to be cleaned up.
An electrical flash fire is different from a regular electrical fire in that there are no continuous flames, just the one flash or spark.
The building, at Second Avenue and Broadway, holds offices for city employees and attorneys. People may not be able to enter the building as of Monday morning said building manager, David Webb.
Check back for more information on this developing story.