A fire that started in the kitchen destroyed an entire apartment unit at a complex in El Cajon Tuesday night.
Firefighters were called to the two-story complex on Wisconsin Avenue just after 8 p.m.
The fire started in the kitchen of a downstairs unit, according to Heartland Fire Department Battalion Chief Chris Case. Case said an unattended pot of oil caught fire on the stovetop and the flames spread to the kitchen cabinets and then to the rest of the unit.
A witness video shared with NBC 7 showed a heavy stack of flames shooting from the window of the unit.
Two adults, a child and a dog were inside when it started and managed to get out of the apartment safely, Case said.
The unit above was damaged by smoke but residents were expected to be allowed back inside, according to Case.
Residents of the complex say the property manager is to credit for helping the rest of them evacuate safely.
Residents also said the manager tried to spray the flames with a hose.
The Red Cross responded to the apartment to help the displaced residents.
No other information was available.
Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.