Family Speaks After Man Killed by Deputies - NBC 7 San Diego

Family Speaks After Man Killed by Deputies



    Three ways La Jolla UTC delivers on what employees really want
    NBC San Diego

    The mother of man believed to be shot and killed in a confrontation with sheriff’s deputies in Alpine after allegedly murdering his wife, says her son was going through an “emotional breakdown” and that the family is struggling to find answers.

    Marquin Anthony Hendrix’ son says he is shocked and doesn't know what happened, he thought his dad and stepmother had a happy marriage. He said his dad was always his little league coach growing up and was a good man.

    Deputies discovered the man on a hillside north of Dehesa road in Serra Mesa around 6 p.m. Monday while responding to a call from a citizen who spotted a blinking light and thought it was coming from a hiker in distress.

    Instead, deputies said they found a vehicle that belonged to a person of interest in a homicide earlier in the day.

    Family Speaks After Man Killed by Deputies

    [DGO] Family Speaks After Man Killed by Deputies
    Son was going through an emotional breakdown.
    (Published Tuesday, March 1, 2011)

    Local law enforcement officers were on the lookout for a 2004 maroon Chrysler Crossfire with the California license plate 5MFB596 in connection with the stabbing death of Caridad Hendrix.

    Hendrix was found dead in a bedroom of a home on Monette Lane around 6 a.m. Monday. Her husband, Marquin Anthony Hendrix reported the crime to a relative, according to San Diego police officers.

    In Alpine, deputies started searching the area for the driver of the abandoned car and found a man in an enclosed carport on Hawks Vista Lane, just west of Tavern Road. The man approached deputies carrying a shovel deputies said.

    “My understanding is the shovel was raised above his head and he was coming at them with the shovel," said Lt. Dennis Brugos.

    Deputies say they ordered him to drop the shovel.

    “He ignored the repeated commands to drop the shovel and they fired upon him with their service weapons," said Lt. Dennis Brugos.

    The suspect was struck an unknown number of times and pronounced dead at the scene.

    The name of the suspect was being withheld by officials pending an autopsy, but family members say Hendrix was shot and killed by deputies in Alpine.

    Lorse Gilbert told NBC San Diego that he was the last person to see his brother alive after Hendrix came to his home in Linda Vista Monday morning distraught over having just stabbed his wife. Gilbert jumped in the car to go to Hendrix’ Serra Mesa home to check on Caridad Hendrix and called 911 on the way.

    "It's a tragic situation, but I'm hanging in there," said Gilbert. "Mark was my older brother and I loved him very, very much.  He was a hard working man, he was a father.  It was just a tragic situation that we can't explain right now."

    He offered his condolences to the victim’s family.

    “My family just wants to reach out to them, we just lost our brother, it's just a tragic situation all the way around," said Gilbert.