Seven elementary school students became sick Friday after ingesting pills they mistook for jelly beans, according to a San Diego Unified School District spokesperson.
The group of third grade students at Washington Elementary School on State Street in Little Italy started feeling sick before 10 a.m.
One child found the pills and handed them out to other kids thinking they were jelly beans, said district spokesperson Jennifer Rodriguez.
Instead, they were green tea supplementary pills the mother had left in the backpack after using it for a recent trip, the district said.
The children were checked by the school nurse and sent back to class. None was taken to a hospital or medical center, Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez said the incident appears to have been accidental.