Diver's Body Found in La Jolla Shores - NBC 7 San Diego

Diver's Body Found in La Jolla Shores

Jeffrey May's body was confirmed without medical intervention



    The body of a deceased diver was found off La Jolla Shores Sunday morning, according to Lifeguards.

    Lifeguards said the body was discovered 175-feet underwater just before 8 a.m. by a private diver who was specifically searching the area for lost diver Jeffrey May, missing since May 28.

    The body was determined to be that of May, confirmed the medical examiner's office on Monday. No exam was performed, but the death was confirmed without medical intervention.

    After finding the body and surfacing, the private diver alerted a nearby kayaker who then signaled for help from authorities on shore, lifeguards said.

    Body Found Near La Jolla Shores

    [DGO] Body Found Near La Jolla Shores
    The county medical examiner is working to identify the body of a diver found this morning off La Jolla Shores. Lifeguards believe the body is that of Jeffrey May, a missing Oceanside man. NBC7s Diana Guevara reports.
    (Published Monday, June 4, 2012)

    According to lifeguards, the body of the dead diver was pulled out using a lift bag. The diver was fully suited, with all diving equipment intact.

    Authorities said the diver appeared to have been dead for a number of days. The body was taken by the medical examiner for identification.

    May, an Oceanside resident and father of a baby daughter, was last heard from on the morning of Memorial Day.

    Search Continues for Missing Diver

    [DGO] Search Continues for Missing Diver
    Oceanside resident Jeffrey May has been missing since Memorial Day, when he told his wife he was going scuba diving.
    (Published Tuesday, May 29, 2012)

    His car was found nearby at a lifeguard station and his clothing, identification and car keys were in a container in an area where divers meet before going in the water.

    His wife said he was supposed to meet up with a new diving group, but the group later told lifeguards May never met with them that day.

    Lifeguards and police began searching for May that night, but found nothing. On May 29, lifeguards deemed the efforts a recovery, not a rescue.


    Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events:iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts