Collapsed Carport Crushes Cars in Alpine - NBC 7 San Diego

Collapsed Carport Crushes Cars in Alpine

The 2 cars crushed outside Alpine Village Apartments belong to the same owners



    An apartment complex parking structure collapsed Tuesday near San Diego, crushing two vehicles belonging to the same family.

    "The wife heard the crash and got up and this is what we came out and found," tenant Jack Woodruff told NBC 7.

    It was just before 7 a.m. when Woodruff's neighbor left for work in his heating and cooling truck from the apartments on Arnold Way in Alpine.

    Bernard Berry said he realized he had forgotten something and decided to head back home.

    Apartment Carport Crushes Cars

    [DGO] Apartment Carport Crushes Cars
    A small carport collapsed, crushing several vehicles in Alpine on Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013.
    (Published Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013)

    When he turned around in the parking lot, he drove over a speed bump and that's when it happened.

    “The edge of the truck hit the carport and the whole thing came down,” Berry said.

    Berry said the tall truck tilted to the right when he drove over the speed bump and the corner of the truck snagged the carport.

    Woodruff' Dodge pickup and his wife's PT Cruiser were crushed. Fortunately, the couple also owns an older model VW bug that was parked just to the right of the carport. That vehicle was not damaged.

    "The orange Volkswagen survived the whole thing – the oldest one of the bunch," Woodruff said. "What can you do?"

    Berry said he spoke to the neighbors who were upset about the accident and said he feels devastated.

    Carport Collapse Crushes Owner's 2 Cars

    [DGO] Carport Collapse Crushes Owner's 2 Cars
    Two cars belonging to the same family were crushed after a parking structure collapsed at an Alpine apartment complex. NBC 7's Sherene Tagharobi reports on what led to the unfortunate incident.
    (Published Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2013)

    “It’s just bad luck. One thing on top of another,” Berry said.

    Heartland firefighters cordoned off the area to prevent any injuries or further damage.